Thursday 9 June 2011

William and Victoria’s Wine Bar, Harrogate - Rich food but you don't need to be wealthy.


6 COLD BATH ROAD, HARROGATE Restaurant 01423 521510 Wine Bar 01423 506883

The fairly innocuous frontage conceals a very cosy and stylish interior. The restaurant is upstairs and the wine bar down. We opted for a great value two courses for £10 below stairs. Having pre booked Dad and I bagged a table straight away. We arrived at 12.30 pm and it was full when we left.
The waiting staff  were attentive but not fussy, drinks orders were taken straight away. A full bodied house red and refreshingly zingy house white along with requested tap water arrived promptly with a basket of rustic granary bread and butter. There was an extensive wine list to choose from.
Opting for starter and main Dad chose homemade mushroom soup which was substantial, chunky and hot!  I plumped for fried fish with sea salt and lemon which was absolutely crispy and delicious. The salt really enhanced the delightfully delicate fried flavour. Yum!
Our mains were equally pleasing and plumpcious. I chose chicken and leek pie with mash and sauted greens. The pie sauce although thin was very tasty and rich, clearly laced with much butter and cream, and the pie top although merely a lid was obviously homemade. Dad selected fish pie with garden peas and a side of chips which were not necessary but devoured anyway. Again the sauce was very rich encompassing nuggets of seafood gold including fish, prawns and baby scallops.
We were so full when we left we could barely move. This really was a considerable lunch at an amazing price which was a very pleasant surprise in Harrogate. Highly recommended.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I have always enjoyed problem solving for friends and family and as a teacher for the last 18 years this is part of what I do every day. During the last year I have been rediscovering a passion for writing and I have recently produced a short story and several reviews for my blog www.doctorfinkel.blogspot.com - Places to visit and eat/drink in Leeds, Yorkshire UK. I am also offering my services as a freelance writer.