Sunday 27 March 2011

Leeds eats: Murgatroyds Fish Restaurant, Harrogate Road, Yeadon, Leeds LS19 7BN

It is pure coincidence that my last review was also of a fish restaurant. This is probably an indication of the sheer quality of fish and chips in the Leeds area and also of the fact that I am working too hard in my other job. Therefore, please accept my apologies for the lack of content on the Blog recently. 

Having lunch at Murgatroyds award winning fish restaurant in Yeadon is a wonderful experience, well worth the travelling time, as it is quite a way out of Leeds city centre.

The restaurant itself is set back from the main road with ample car parking. On arrival we were shown to our booth which was a bit of a squeeze for five of us. However we did not pre-book even though it was a Sunday and the squash did not detract from the excellence of the food. The restaurant was busy despite the slightly dated decor indicating that we might be in for a treat.

Two of us opted for the pensioner’s special which was three very reasonably priced courses. The starters were per functionary, nothing special, but this belied the bedazzling nature of the main course. We all opted for classic fish and chips with mushy peas which came with bread and butter. We chose Yorkshire tea to drink, the only beverage fit to accompany fish and chips, and a fruit juice for our junior companion. The fish was possibly the best haddock I have ever tasted. It was thick like a fillet steak ; juicy, chunky and moist. The batter was a crispy blanket of sustenance which did not impinge upon the fish’s delicate flavour in any way. The mushy peas were properly steeped in bicarbonate of soda and piping hot. The chips were good but not as outstanding as the other components of the dish.

We could not eat dessert as we were so replete but my seven year old niece received a delicious ice cream as part of her children’s menu choice which she couldn't finish. She too has been raving about the fish ever since!

I keep looking for an excuse to go back, I haven’t managed it yet but it won’t be long before I do. The good thing about Murgatroyd’s being a little way out of Leeds is the fact that it is a great stop off point for a day or weekend out in The Dales. 
Telephone:  0113 250 0010









No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I have always enjoyed problem solving for friends and family and as a teacher for the last 18 years this is part of what I do every day. During the last year I have been rediscovering a passion for writing and I have recently produced a short story and several reviews for my blog www.doctorfinkel.blogspot.com - Places to visit and eat/drink in Leeds, Yorkshire UK. I am also offering my services as a freelance writer.